Sunday, October 2, 2011

Where has all the tolerance gone?


I’m not a television watcher, my family enjoys it, I prefer to read, write or cruise the internet. On my internet perusal’s I have found that as much as society screams about tolerance, it’s getting harder to find. I understand that people have opinions and certain ways that they would like to live and raise their children, but they seem to forget that theirs is not the only opinion out there. They can’t seem to understand that if everyone felt the same way we would live in a very boring world.
If I’m offended by something than it is my problem. What happened to just not buying wares from a company that went against your morals or turning the television channel is you didn’t like the show? I’d vote for turning the television off all together.
We have total transparency in our household. We do not lie to our children. Sure they think Santa brings those presents at Christmas and that the Easter bunny decorates our yard for a fun filled hunt on Easter morning. We consider those ‘things that make childhood fun’. When it comes to more important issues such as sex and drugs, we have total transparency. Explaining it in ways that are age appropriate and promote open discussions, I feel it’s important for my children to be educated about the facts and not afraid or judgmental of people or lifestyles that are different, or god forbid believe what their friends or other kids tell them. Our children are bombarded with things every day; I’m just thrilled that they come to my husband and me for clarity.
Our society is so diverse that we have to think for ourselves and there are always going to be people out there that are different than you. As long as they are not hurting anyone I don’t feel that’s it’s any of my business. I just remember the golden rule: Judging a person doesn’t define who they are, but it does define who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment